Monday 3 June 2013

My Bookish Week- 3rd June 2013


Hello and happy Monday! Once a week I plan to share the previous weeks book related bits both in and out of the classroom.

Book Links

This past week was half term and so I managed to get some great reading and internet playing research done.

Firstly the fantastic Bill Lord (Joga5 on Twitter) shared a link to a google map called ‘World of Books.’ On it people have recorded pins of locations to be found in children’s books. It is a fantastic resource and one I will use regularly and aim to add to as much as I can.

I also loved this video shared by Mr Schu from Mr Schu reads about the power of reading. One I will definitely be sharing with my class, especially to ‘B’ who loves Captain Underpants!

Zoe Toft from Playing by the Book also reminded me of the Picture Book Plays website. Also if you love children’s books and haven’t seen Zoe’s website yet go and check it out!

I also enjoyed this article detailing Michael Morpurgo’s thoughts on not patronising young readers.

In his last blog post as the Booktrust writer in residence Matt Haig discusses how to make books more popular.

Books Read

I also managed to read some books! Just lately I have been terrible at reading about 5 books at once which means I am not finishing ANYTHING! However half term perseverance (and some picture books) has meant I have some books on my ‘read’ pile.

Three of the books are picture books for a Chicks project we are doing the first week back. Come back later in the week for a blog post detailing what we did. I am so excited!
‘Chicken Dance’ by Tammi Sauer and illustrated by Dan Santat.
‘Interrupting Chicken’ by David Ezra Stein.
‘Where do Chicks come from?’ by Amy E. Sklansky and illustrated by Pam Paparone.

I also read ‘Madame Pamplemousse and her Incredible Edibles’ by Rupert Kingfisher. This I picked up during the week after some vouchers were burning a hole in my purse. I hadn’t heard of it before and I chose it as I liked the idea of a book set in Paris and it being about food. At 138 pages it was a nice quick read.


From the blurb- When Madeline is sent on an errand by her horrid uncle, she discovers, by chance, a shop owned by Madame Pamplemousse. It sells the strangest, the rarest, the most delicious, the most extraordinary and the most incredible edibles in the whole world. And when Madeline’s uncle wishes to steal the most incredible edible of all. Madeline, Madame Pamplemousse and Camembert the cat have a good reason to join forces and create some truly remarkable magic.






I would say the story would appeal to KS2 readers, especially with its touches of magic and sweet illustrations. It would promote good book talk on the themes of greed and doing the right thing. I also love some of the ingredient descriptions, Salt-Cured Raptor Tails anyone?

I also finally read ‘Krindlekrax’ by Philip Ridley. This had been on my to read list for ages. I have to be honest that after the first few chapters I was not really enjoying it but then suddenly that all changed and I couldn’t put it down!





Books Reading

I am currently reading ‘The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making’ by Catherynne M. Valente. This had been on my wishlist for a while and I am excited to finally be reading it. Have you read it? What are your thoughts?


Books that have entered the house

I visited the library and came home with this lovely stack of books to read.





What have you read lately? Feel free to leave a comment to share your recent reads!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!
Kelly